Thursday, December 1, 2011

Silver Award winner of Halton's Be a Hero contest

One of the long term Bridging the Gap youth, and a previous CAS client, who has personally experienced poverty, homelessness and abuse submitted a beautiful, moving poem to Halton’s Be a Hero contest. Victoria was recognized and awarded with 2nd place (Silver Award) out of close to 100 submissions at last week’s ceremony.

The poem she wrote is based on “Crissy’s Story” below but speaks to Victoria’s own perseverance, hope and determination in taking care of herself and finding a permanent, stable home in her community.

Crissy's story Transitional housing for youth:

You’ve probably heard the expression “safe at home”. But the truth is – not everyone is safe at home. I should know. My dad left a long time ago and we don’t hear from him. My brother had a hard time dealing with whole thing. He blamed my mom for dad leaving, so he was always angry. I guess he started to drink and do drugs to make the pain go away. But it didn’t go away. Whenever he was using, he’d either be drunk or high and he would take his anger out on me – he would beat me. I was so scared. Mom couldn’t protect me from him; I guess she was scared too. Finally I couldn’t take it any more; I had to leave – for me. I tried to find a shelter here in Halton so I could stay in school. They didn’t have any room but they helped me find a safe place in Peel. I felt so alone. There was no way I was going back home, but I couldn’t stay in the shelter for very long. It’s only temporary – usually only a few weeks.
Finally a spot opened up back here in Halton, so I came back. The shelter worker connected me with some people who could help me. They were great; they were really there for me. They helped me get my Ontario Works (OW) so that I could find a room to rent, and they take me to the food bank because I don’t have a car. I have dreams. I want to finish school and I hope to go to college some day. But right now it’s one day at a time and for the first time in a long time I’m starting to feel like things are going to be okay for me. Without their support I’d probably be somewhere out on the streets.

Temporary Home
by Victoria Noble

She was happy
She was content
Her dad turned away
And that's when her road bent

Her brother lost control
Lost the meaning within his soul
Ran to drugs and alcohol
This wasn't the same brother that she recalls

He would come home mad
Make her and her mother feel bad
She was the victim of his abuse
She knew it was because of the drug use

She had to go; she had to get away
Couldn't deal with the abuse for another day
She packed her bags and left home
On her own she was left to roam

She had to figure out where she was going to stay
She needed to find a bed where she could lay
So she could be safe from the pain
And end the stress that ran through her veins

She found a place to sleep
Though it was not her bed to keep
She had to leave in a few weeks
So she folded the bed sheets

She was at a place where she felt alone
That feeling sent shivers of fear through her bones
She had nobody but herself to pull through
She had no idea what she was going to do

Finally someone was able to take her hand
They helped her from the sinking sand
They told her to continue on with her dreams
Nothing is as impossible as it seems

She got back on her own two feet
She feels like she is impossible to defeat
Life is a very hard mountain to climb
But she remembers to take it one day at a time

No comments: